So now your teeth are straight !!! Let’s keep them that way!
Here are a few things to remember during the years of retainer wear ……..
- You are recommended to wear your retainer for a year full time which means 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After a year you will be asked to wear it nights only.
- Don’t fold it in your napkin or leave it on the table at a restaurant. Garbage cans don’t make happy hunting grounds.
- Don’t put your retainer in your pocket. You might sit on it and break it. OUCH !
- Take your retainer out when swimming in a lake or ocean. If it falls out you may not be able to find it. Wearing it in the swimming pool is OK.
- Animals and younger children love to play with it. Please make sure your retainer is in your mouth at all times. Your retainer should only be out of your mouth when brushing
- Your lower retainer is a fixed retainer bonded onto your teeth. It is not considered permanent and can be broken or detached from your teeth if you are not careful with it.
- Bring your retainer to your check up appointment. If anything happens to your retainers (i.e. it doesn’t fit, it’s broken, or it’s lost) please call us ASAP. If your lower bonded retainer wire comes out, keep it and bring it in at your next appointment for rebonding.
- The first set of retainers is included as part of your orthodontic treatment. Any repair, replacement of your retainer, or rebonding of your lower retainer will be additional cost to you.
- Keep things clean! Be sure to brush your teeth without your retainer in. Do not boil your retainer or put it in hot water or microwave. Brush your retainer with a toothbrush using toothpaste or water.